The Kensington Review

9 March 2009


WWW Kensington Review


Contact Us

Back Issues

This Week's Commentary: Volume VIII, Number 10
Obama Signing Stem Cell Order Today -- On Friday, the White House announced that President Obama will sign an executive order on stem cell research later today. While declining to give details, the administration signaled that it would mark the end of the Bush regime's ban on almost all federal funding for stem cell research. The move is part of an effort by the new crew to restore scientific integrity to many government processes that became politicized in the last 8 years.

Palestinian PM Resigns -- Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad has tendered his resignation to the President of the Palestinian Authority, Mahmoud Abbas. The move is in preparation for a national unity government between the Fatah faction and Hamas. Since June 2007, Hamas has run Gaza while Fatah's writ covered the West Bank. A government of national unity would be a step forward in the endless talking about peace in the Middle East.

UK Taxpayers to Own 77% of Lloyds Bank -- Lloyds Banking Group is following Royal Bank of Scotland into a scheme that effectively caps its losses on dodgy assets. LBG could offload as much as £250 billion this way. If the plan is implemented in full, that means that UK taxpayers will own about 77% of the bank. The remaining 23% is presumably the difference between New Labour and Old Labour, not quite complete nationalization.

“Revolutionary Road” Deserves a Second Viewing -- The triumph of “Slumdog Millionaire” at the movie awards ceremonies this year was well deserved, but it had the effect of denying other worthy films their day in the sun. One such is “Revolutionary Road.” Nominated for several awards, it got not a single Oscar and just one Golden Globe (Kate Winslet, Best Actress). However in a year with more typical competition, the film would have earned more accolades.

© Copyright 2009 by The Kensington Review, Jeff Myhre, PhD, Editor. No part of this publication may be reproduced without written consent. Produced using Fedora Linux.

Comprehensive Media Web DirectoryOlios

Add to Technorati Favorites